Tullahoma News

Follow Us On:

Pet Health

Holiday Hazards for Pets

Pet Medical Center 300x250 DVM

The holidays are fun, even for pets, but the season brings added danger for animal companions. Learn to recognize and manage holiday hazards to keep your pet safe during the festivities.

Tinsel can cut through the intestine and cause peritonitis. Sharp, broken pieces of ornaments can lacerate you pet’s mouth, throat, and digestive tract. Lager pieces can cause an obstruction. Christmas trees are a climbing and therefore falling hazard, and tree water may contain dangerous fertilizers or unhealthy bacteria. Consuming mistletoe and holly may cause nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, or even heart problems. Everyone knows the dangers of your pet eating chocolate, so make sure to keep all holiday assortments out of reach. The immediate danger of your pet eating turkey meat is the tiny bones that may cause painful constipation or splinter to perforate the stomach. Consuming raw bread dough may cause vomiting, severe abdominal pain and bloating.

Prompt veterinary care can help reduce the risk for serious illness or lessen the chances for complications from injury associated with holiday hazards. A veterinarian can perform testing to determine whether a pet has suffered serious damage from chewing on or swallowing ornaments, eating fatty or potentially poisonous food, or playing with seasonal decorations. Your veterinarian can prescribe medications to soothe a belly ache or counteract poison, perform x-rays and surgery to overcome intestinal obstructions, and repair lacerations. If your pet encounters one of these holiday hazards, contact us immediately at (931) 393-2707!

For more information, please call 393-2707 or visit our website.