The music ministry of St. Barnabas Episcopal Church will hold a hymn festival at 4 p.m. on Sunday, May 31 featuring Don Michael Dicie, organist, playing on the Casavant Freres Organ.
The public is invited to attend and join in singing favorite hymns selected by the congregation. The program will feature several new anthems composed by Dicie, other organ selections and choir anthems.
Dicie was born in 1941 in Birmingham and says he has been fond of spirituals, folk songs and plainsong since he began music lessons in elementary school. During his formal music training, he developed his main musical interests of music theory and composition while studying with William Baxter and Hugh Thomas.
From 1966 to 1972 he was organist and choir director at the Cathedral of St. Paul in Minnesota where his boy choir participated in performances with area orchestras, ensembles, and chamber groups. He has received commissions for choral and instrumental music from the Visitation Convent School in St. Paul, Belle Meade United Methodist Church in Nashville and the Nashville chapter of the American Guild of Organists.
From 1973 to 1994, Dicie taught reading and vocal music in Nashville public schools and from 1976 to 1994, he was organist and choir director at St. Paul’s Episcopal Church in Franklin.
In 2005 he returned to St. Paul’s as organist for the new music program there and retired in August of 2014.
T. Evans Baird is director and Nelda Lowrance is organist for the St. Barnabas Choir. Members include sopranos Virginia Boyd, Dorothy Duncan, Georgia Mahan, and Susan Fritz, altos Marjorie Collier, Eugenia Dale, Margaret Henderson, Kate Lapczynski and Edley Ramsey. Tenors are Jim Joliffe, Edward LeBlanc, Sharon Maby and Jonathan Woodfin and basses are Bruce Galbraith, Maurice Hale, David Thomas and David Woodfin.
The festival will be held in the recently restored sanctuary of the 1897 Gothic Revival building. Visitors may view notable stained glass windows depicting biblical scenes and lessons. Of particular interest are ‘The Cross and Crown” over the altar and “The Pelican in Her Piety” in a side window, both dating from the early years of the building. Light refreshments will be served in the parish house after the festival.