William Moon

Following a three-day jury trial and approximately six hours of deliberation, a Coffee County jury on Thursday, Feb. 14, returned guilty verdicts against William Eugene Moon, of Tullahoma.

Moon was convicted for attempted second-degree murder, a Class B felony, and employing a firearm during the commission of a dangerous felony, a Class C felony.

The convictions stem from a Dec. 17, 2017, incident in which Moon attempted to kill Tullahoma police officer Cpl. Michael Wilder at an East Moore Street residence. Wilder went to the house to serve Moon with a separate aggravated assault warrant.

According to Coffee County District Attorney General Craig Northcott, who represented the State of Tennessee during the trial, Moon drew a fully loaded 9 mm handgun from the waistband of his pants and pointed the weapon from point-blank range at the officer in attempt to avoid arrest. Wilder was able to stop Moon from firing his weapon by firing his own in an act of self-defense.

According to Northcott, Wilder then took medical action that, with the help of Coffee County EMS and other first responders, saved Moon from his injuries.

Moon was flown to Huntsville Hospital in Alabama for treatment of his wounds. 

According to Tullahoma Police Acting Capt. Phil Henderson, Moon was taken into custody by Huntsville Police on Jan. 10, 2018. Following a routine TBI officer-involved shooting investigation, Wilder was not charged in the incident.

Moon’s sentencing hearing is set for 1 p.m., March 20.

Pursuant to the current Tennessee sentencing guidelines, Moon is facing eight to 12 years in prison for attempted second-degree murder conviction with parole eligibility after service of 30 percent of the sentence.

He will be sentenced to six years in prison with no possibility of parole for the employing a firearm conviction.

These sentences are required to run consecutively to each other for a total range of punishment from 14 to 18 years in prison.

Drew Justice, of Murfreesboro, represented the defendant at trial.

Wilder, a member of the Tullahoma Police Department at the time of the incident, is now employed by the Manchester Police Department.

Kelly Lapczynski can be reached at klapczynski@tullahomanews.com.